L-K Industries API hydrometers have multiple ranges that are precision grade for measuring API gravity of crude oil and other petroleum products. We offer all ranges that comply with API (American Petroleum Institute and The American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) E100 standards, from -1 degrees to 96 degrees. Made in the USA out of precision grade glass and ballast to ensure accuracy. Each is serialized, traceable to NIST, and inspected in our ISO/IEC 17025:2005 ANAB Accredited Calibration Laboratory. Hydrometers are available with a thermometer inside the center and with or without certification. Non-mercury hydrometers are available as well. All hydrometers are designed to be used with the Hydrometer Cylinder Heater.
• Combined form thermohydrometer which is not only a hydrometer to read density, but also contains a thermometer with range from 0 to 150 F
• Clear easy to read double scales routinely used for determining the gravity of crude oil and other liquid petroleum products. Hydrometers are 15" long
• Each hydrometer is uniquely numbered and certification of calibration from a 17025 accredited laboratory are available at competetive pricing. Manufactured in accordance with API Chapter 9.3 of the MPMS ASTM D and E100
• Available in ASTM scale 51HL -1/11, 52HL 9/21, 53HL 19/31, 54HL 29/41, 55HL 39/51, 56HL 49/61, 57HL 59/71, 58HL 69/81, 59HL 79/61, 60HL 89/101, And in API ranges 10/45, 45/90, 10/30, 20/40, 30/50, 40/60, 50/70, 60/80, 70/90, 80/100
• For instruction on use, please reference The API Manual of Petroleum Measurement Stands (MPMS), Chapter 9 - "Standard Test Method for Density, Relative Density, and API Gravity of Crude Petroleum and Liquid Petroleum Products by Thermohydrometer Method"
The following scales are also available:
Alcohol Hydrometers for alcohol, IRS, Proof, Tralle, Baume, Balling. These are used in breweries, wineries, and distilleries in measurements of alcohol levels.
Specific Gravity Hydrometers measure the relative density which is the ration of the mass of a solid or liquid to be a mass of an equal volume of distilled water. ASTM standard Specific Gravity Hydrometers.
API Hydrometers are used in petroleum products and they measure their standard API scale. We offer API Hydrometers with ASTM specifications and API Hydrometers with thermometers. Brix Hydrometers use a scale that is based on 1 degree Brix = 1 degree sucrose by weight at the specified temperature of 20 degrees C. The data of the National Bureau of Standards is used. Sodium Chloride Hydrometers measure saturation and concentration of sodium chloride. Calcium Hydrometers measure specific gravity and freezing point of calcium chloride.
Soil Analysis Hydrometers measure specific gravity and soil colloids in strict accordance to specifications of ASTM - American Society for Testing Materials.
Specific gravity is the standard scale for what a hydrometer measures, choose either a plain form hydrometer or a combined form hydrometer. Plain form hydrometers do not have a built-in thermometer, use a separate thermometer to measure the temperature. Combined form hydrometers have a thermometer built into the body or stem to measure the temperature of the sample. API scale hydrometers are selected by the American Petroleum Institute (API), the United States Bureau of Mines, and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) as the standard scale for petroleum products. Baumé hydrometers are used for liquids heavier than water, such as syrups. Brix Scale hydrometers are used by the sugar industry. Salt hydrometers are graduated in % saturation or % by weight of salt in solution. Alcohol (Tralle and Proof Scales) hydrometers measure directly in percentage ethyl alcohol by weight in water from 0 to 100%. The Proof scale indicates the proof of alcohol from 0 to 200 proof. Proof is twice the percentage of alcohol by volume in solution. Soil hydrometers determine the specific gravity of a suspension, enabling the percentage of particles of a certain equivalent particle diameter to be calculated. Hydrometers are manufactured to the exacting specifications provided by NIST, ASTM/API and IRS and are calibrated against standards traceable to NIST. A certificate is provided with each hydrometer assuring that the user receives a quality instrument.